16 Elite Southern California Teams to Vie for the 6th Annual Boras Baseball Classic De-facto State Championship Title
Newport Beach, CA, October 25, 2017—The Boras Foundation today announced the 16 teams competing in the 2018 Boras Baseball Classic of California Southern Section.
The 32-team invitational pits 16 of the most elite high school teams from Northern California against 16 teams from Southern California to name a de-facto State Champion. Games begin April 3, 2018 at host schools JSerra Catholic and Mater Dei High School.
“Going into our sixth year I believe we have hit our stride, and have the best field of teams to date competing against each other to showcase their skills to both collegiate coaches and MLB scouts,” said Scott Boras, Director of The Boras Foundation. “Having 15 players drafted in the 2017 class shows the caliber of talent and platform for each player to further pursue their careers in baseball.”
Returning are Boras Baseball Classic rookies turned champions, Huntington Beach High School who rank 28th by Maxpreps. The Boras Classic Champions boast two 2017 MLB draftees including first rounder Nick Pratto. The Oilers bring junior Josh Hahn (LHP, UCLA) to help defend their Championship Title.
Harvard Westlake joins the field of teams for their first Boras Classic appearance with top players senior Jesse Bergin (RHP, UCLA) and Sam Hliboki (RHP, Vanderbilt). Etiwanda High School (ranked #11) makes their debut appearance coming off of a Division ll CIF Southern Section Championship and two 2017 draftees. Cathedral Catholic, also joining the Classic for the first time and known for having six players drafted over the last five years, bring top players Nick Nastrini (RHP, UCLA), Cade Brown (1B, San Diego) and Sparky Owen (RHP, San Diego). New comers also include West Ranch, Simi Valley and Newbury Park High Schools.
Included in the 2018 lineup are Corona Santiago with number six ranked shortstop Brice Turang, right-handed pitcher Tyler Frazier and catcher Jacob Shanks. Eighth ranked El Toro also returns with Erik Tolman (LHP, Call Poly), Stone Shiffman (LHP, Nothridge) and Nathan Church (OF, UC Irvine).
Also headed to the South are returning Boras Classic teams La Mirada, Vista Murrieta and South Hills, bringing Stanford commit Brandon Dieter (SS), along with sophomores and USC commits Jared Jones (OF/P), and Emilio Morales (RHP/C). South Hills also coming out of the 2017 season with two MLB draftees Jacob Amaya (SS, Dodgers) and Carlos Morales (LHP, Brewers).
Orange Lutheran rejoins the Classic ranked 13th and named the 2017 NHSI Champions bringing the likes of seniors Cole Winn (RHP, Mississippi State), Zach Lew (SS, Fullerton), Austin Mowrey (2B, Columbia) and junior Josiah Dixon (OF, USC). Featuring two of the top players in the 2020 class and home of the 2017 second overall MLB draft pick Hunter Greene (RHP, Reds) come Notre Dame, with Lucas Gordon (LHP, USC) and 39th ranked Daylen Reyes (SS).
Hosts, JSerra Catholic (ranked #7) and Mater Dei (ranked #38) High Schools have collectively had over 10 MLB Draftees since 2011, each loaded with Division l commits and prospects. JSerra Catholic brings junior Michael Curialle (INF, UCLA) and Blake Klassen (OF, Arizona). Mater Dei with senior Emilio Rosas (SS, USC), Grant Burton (OF, Stanford) and junior C.J. Rodriguez (C, Vanderbilt) among many others.
The 32 invited high school teams participating in the tournament are guaranteed a minimum of four games, with a fifth game for the two schools that reach the highly anticipated state championship game. The Boras Baseball Classic tournament brackets may be viewed in their entirety at the Boras Baseball Classic website, borasclassicca.com in early 2018.
The 2017 MLB draft class includes 15 of the Boras Baseball Classic of California competitors:
• Royce Lewis (SS), of JSerra Catholic High School selected
• Hunter Greene (RHP), of Notre Dame High School of Sherman Oaks selected second overall by the Cincinnati Reds
• Nick Pratto (LHP), of Huntington Beach High School selected by the Kansas City Royals
• Hagan Danner (C), of Huntington Beach High School selected by the Toronto Blue Jays
• Blake Hunt (C), of Mater Dei High School selected by the San Diego Padres
• Jake Scheiner (3B), of Maria Carrillo High School selected by the Philadelphia Phillies out of the University of Houston
• Cody Bolton (RHP), of Tracy High School selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates
• Jacob Amaya (SS), South Hills High School selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers
• Je’Von Ward (OF), Gahr High School selected by the Milwaukee Brewers
• Eric Wagaman (RHP), Aliso Niguel High School ‘15 (Orange Coast College) selected by the New York Yankees
• Garrett Mitchell (OF), Orange Lutheran High School selected by the Oakland A’s
• Karlos Morales (LHP), South Hills High School selected by the Milwaukee Brewers
• Trenton Denholm (RHP), Oak Ridge High School selected by the Boston Red Sox
• Tyler Addison (OF), Mater Dei High School selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers
• Sam Glick (LHP), El Toro High School selected by the Baltimore Orioles
For local, state or national sponsorship opportunities please visit the Boras Classic website at borasclassicca.com.